The Square as we can now see it dates back to the mid- 18th century. We assume that it is older than Fernlea House next door, as the Square has a curved corner wall by the entrance to what would have been Fernlea’s stables. This was presumably to facilitate the horses’ access. Fernlea was built before 1759. But under the kitchen floor of the Square, there is apparently another stone flagged floor that is lower than the land by Fernlea House and also lower than the floor of Fernlea’s stables. This raises the possibility of an earlier house at the Square which was substantially altered in the Georgian period. On the 1843 Tithe map the Square was shown as being two separate houses.
Originally, there was no garden
associated with the house, other than a small front garden which
is now the courtyard. What is now the garden, lying opposite,
was in the 19th century part of a large number of allotments
which stretched down the hill from the Hall. It was not until
the 1930s when the allotments ceased to be, that the Square
acquired the bottom part of this land as a garden. The garden is
raised above the level of the road and surrounded by a yew
hedge, making it attractively private. It is believed that one
of the old apple trees appears on pre 1930s photos of the
allotments. The garden now houses a number of unusual herbaceous
plants including a fine collection of geraniums. We continue the
medieval tradition of bee-keeping in Parwich.
Ref: Parwich Horticultural & Local History Societies